Manchester City News: Inquiries have been made of potential jurors in the sexual assault trial of Manchester City midfielder Benjamin Mendy regarding their relationships with five Premier League players.
The names of Raheem Sterling, Jack Grealish, Kyle Walker, Riyad Mahrez, and John Stones—all of whom either play for City currently or have in the past—were read out to the jury panel at Chester Crown Court on Wednesday before the trial’s start on Monday.
The potential jurors, picked from a panel of 38, were given a list of witnesses or other key players in the case. They were questioned about their familiarity with them.
Mendy, 28, has been accused of raping eight women. He also attempted to rape one more, and assaulted one more woman sexually.
READ MORE: United and Arsenal Face Cody Gakpo Stumbling Block as PSV Make Crucial Transfer Decision
The alleged crimes are said to have occurred between October 2018 and August 2017. He had previously filed not guilty pleas to the other nine accusations at earlier hearings. On Wednesday he did so for one of the rape offenses.
Mendy, who was dressed in a blue suit, is on trial with Louis Saha Matturie, 40, of Eccles, Salford, who is accused of raping and assaulting eight young women on eight separate occasions.
In addition to hearing the complainants’ identities, prospective jurors were questioned about their ties to Manchester City, Manchester United, or the police.
READ MORE: Bianconeri Midfielder Refuses to Join the Red Devils
Judge Steven Everett, Chester’s honorary recorder, said to them: “You may be interested to know that Mr. Mendy plays professional football. He is a member of Manchester City.”
Eight men and six women were sworn in to serve on the jury, and two of them will be released after the trial has begun. They were told the trial would last for 15 weeks. About 20 media persons attended court on Thursday while others were observed by video link.
A French interpreter was present in the courtroom with the accused. Mendy moved to Manchester City in 2017 for an estimated £52 million after leaving Monaco. The club suspended him after the cops charged him. Both defendants are released on bond.
1 of 4