As many as 14 records were broken on the historic day of Test cricket. Here we have a look at them.
Mark the date, 14 June 2018. Afghanistan have made history and stepped into the Test arena for the very first time. Asghar and his men had a good day overall on the field looking at India’s score at the end of first day’s play in Bengaluru.
After winning the toss, the Indian openers Shikhar Dhawan and Murali Vijay started brilliantly as they brought up their 3rd opening partnership of above 100. Both of them got out after getting their hundreds and KL Rahul, once again, could not convert his half-century into a century.
There were a couple of rain stoppages in the day. The day belonged to India until the second break. After that, it was Afghanistan’s much-talked-about-spinners, Rashid Khan and Mujeeb Ur Rahman ensured there was some panic in the Indian dressing room. India were 280-1. The Afghans showed the world that any team can come crumble under pressure, even the No. 1 Test side. After a fabulous start, the hosts lost 5 wickets for 67 runs and are currently placed at 347/6 at stumps on Day 1.
During the course of the day, a lot of records were broken. Here are they:
1) Afghanistan became the 12th Test playing nation in the game’s 141 year old history.
2) This was the first ever Test match in India in the month of June. Only May and July are the months left without a Test match being played in India.
3) This was just the second Test match for India since January 2012 without Virat Kohli. He missed the last Test against Australia at Dharamshala due to an injury he picked up in the previous Test.
4) Mujeeb Ur Rahman at 17 years 78 days became the youngest player to play in the inaugural Test of his country.
5) He also became the first player born in the 21st century to play Test cricket.
6) He became the sixth player to make his First Class debut in a Test match.
7) Indian wicket-keeper Dinesh Karthik missed 87 Test matches for India since 2010. It is the most by an Indian and the seventh-most overall.
8) Yamin Ahmadzai bowled the first ball ever in Test cricket for Afghanistan.
9) Shikhar Dhawan became the first Indian and the sixth batsman overall to get a hundred before lunch on Day 1 of a Test match.
10) Ahmadzai also picked up the first wicket in Tests for Afghanistan.
11) Murali Vijay has now scored 3 centuries in the last 3 Tests he played in India.
12) He now has the most Test hundreds (12) with none in the second innings.
13) KL Rahul has now failed to reach a hundred for the 10th consecutive time after getting to his fifty.
14) India scored the second most runs (347) in a day in a Test match in Bengaluru
The historic Test match has been initiated very well by the new comers with some wickets in the latter half of the day. If they manage to bundle out the hosts in the first session without conceding too many, the match will be perfect for the advertisement of Test cricket. The Afghans have sent a message across the globe that they arrived at the Test arena too and soon will make sure their rise in the longer format is quick and consistent.