UEFA has released a statement explaining what will happen if the Neymar’s record deal to Paris Saint-Germain goes through.
The Barcelona winger has taken over the transfer window as the main talking point over what could end up being the most incredible transfer saga in history. The 25-year old’s current contract with the Catalans means that he would command a €222 (£198) million transfer fee, which could have a serious impact on the UEFA’s Financial Fair Play rules for both clubs.
This would also make him the most expensive player in the history of the game, outdoing the Manchester United and Juventus deal for Paul Pogba.
However, reports indicated that the La Liga was ready to block the transfer with President Javier Tebas claiming that he is ready to file a complaint against PSG. The 55-year-old was ready to file to both the UEFA and the European Union (EU) for what Tebas feels that are breaches of financial fair play. The Ligue 1 club has already been punished and fined previously for breaking the FFP, thus a second offense may lead to more drastic action, such as the temporary ban from entering the Champions League or worse.
The UEFA has responded to the claim and as per BBC have said that- “We have not received complaints from anyone regarding this matter. All clubs in Europe must respect financial fair-play rules and must demonstrate that they do not have losses of more than 30m euros over three years.”
The statement went on to say “As part of the continuous monitoring of clubs under financial fair play regulations, UEFA will look into the details of this transfer in due course to ensure PSG are compliant with FFP requirements.
The transfer of Neymar to PSG will have an effect on the club finances over several years but the impact of such an operation cannot be judged in advance, notably as PSG could well sell several players for a significant amount.
We shall therefore only make calculations at the end and make sure that they respect the rules.”
Barcelona release statement regarding Neymar’s future
Neymar has spent the past four years at Camp Nou and was the hero as Barcelona fought back from 4-0 deficit, to win the second leg 6-1 against PSG. He has been given permission to miss training in a statement released by the club, in order to sort out his possible future at either Paris Saint-Germain or Barcelona.
FC Barcelona communiqué on Neymar https://t.co/3gUqCGv5P8
— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) August 2, 2017
Published on the club’s website, the statement says “The player Neymar Jr, accompanied by his father and agent, has informed FC Barcelona this morning of his decision to leave the Club in a meeting held at the Club’s offices.”
It further added, “The player remains under contract at FC Barcelona but with temporary permission to not take part in training sessions.”
If the transfer does go through, however, PSG will face serious problems and will have to balance their books over the next three years, unless they want to face serious actions. It is worth adding that the Paris club has spent next to nothing this summer, comparatively, with €13 million going towards full-back Yuri Berchiche and Serie A winner Dani Alves arriving from Juventus signed on a free transfer.